We are committed to protecting the privacy of our patient's personal information and to utilizing all personal information in a responsible and professional manner. This document summarizes some of the personal information that we collect, use, and disclose. In addition to the circumstances described in this form, we also collect, use, and disclose personal information when permitted or required by law.
We collect information from our patients such as names, home address, work address, telephone numbers, and e-mail address (collectively referred to as 'Contact Information'). Contact Information is collected and used for the following purposes:
- To open and update patient files.
- To invoice patients for dental services, process credit card payments, arrange for payment of our services, and collect unpaid accounts.
- To process claims for payment from third party insurance and benefit providers.
- To send reminders to patients concerning the need for further dental examination and or treatment.
- To send patients informational material about our dental practice.
We collect information from our patients about their health history, family health history, physical conditions, and dental treatments (collectively referred to as 'Medical Information'). Patient's Medical Information is collected and used for the purpose of diagnosing dental conditions and providing dental treatment.
Contact information and Medical information may be disclosed to third party health benefit providers and insurance companies. Medical Information is collected and used for the following purposes:
- To other dentists and dental specialists, where we are seeking a second opinion, and the patient has consented to us to obtain a second opinion.
- To other health professionals such as physicians, if the patient has consented and has been referred to us by other health care professionals for either a second opinion or treatment.
If we are ever considering selling all or part of our dental practice, qualified potential purchaser may be granted access as part of the due diligence process to patient information in order to verify information important to the potential sale. If this occurs, we will take steps to ensure that the prospective purchaser safeguards all personal information.
Dentists are regulated by the Alberta Dental Association and College which may inspect our records and interview our staff as part of it regulatory activities in the public interest.